| Some of the contents in the Biography section could benefit from the addition of a notable story subpage.
Please help clean it up if you are able.
On the couch with Alex
|Born||Jesse Maxwell Smith II|
November 13, 1969
|Spouse(s)||Teri Smith (m. 1992–present)|
|Children||Kevin Smith (13)|
Alex Smith (9)
Jesse Smith (born 13 November 1969) is the husband of Teresa (Teri) Smith and father to Kevin and Alex. He serves as the Pastor of Children and Families at Life Bridge Community Church.
|Consider moving or adding notable stories to subpages.|
Born on November 13, 1969 in Huntingdon, PA to Samuel Grant Smith Sr. and Jeannine Marilyn Smith (Hood), Jesse was named after his paternal Grandfather Jesse Maxwell Smith. After his birth, the family remained in Pennsylvania for a short time and then returned to Maryland finding a rental home in Rockville near his fathers place of employment. As the dynamics of the family changed with the older children moving from home, his parents began searching for a new home. Through a friend they found a house in Laytonsville, MD two doors down from an elementary school and four doors away from a Baptist Church. When they moved, the only children remaining at home were Sam Jr. and Jesse.
After moving to Laytonsville, the family began attending Laytonsville Baptist Church. It was at this church that Jesse made a profession of faith.
On October 31, 1976 the Sam, Jeannine and Jesse moved to Mt. Airy, MD. The distance from Laytonsville eventually precluded them from attending. Although they attended other churches for a time (including Liberty Baptist Church in Lisbon, MD), they eventually stopped attending church as a family.
During High School, Jesse attended a class that included planning and implementing a preschool. During these courses Jesse also worked at Bushy Park Elementary School. It was at this time that Jesse decided to attend Towson State University in order to become a Kindergarten Teacher. Jesse studied early childhood education at Towson for two years after which he left school unsure that teaching was his calling.
In 1990 Jesse began chatting with Teri through a BBS and a relationship developed. Despite living 45 minutes apart they saw each other frequently and began talking about marriage. With none of his recent job choices (lower management of fast food, pizza delivery and retail chains) seen as viable to begin heading a family, Jesse set his sites on becoming a Maryland State Trooper. However, Maryland budget cuts canceled his class and he opted to become a linguist in the US Army.
On December 31, 1991 during a break from basic training, Jesse proposed. While Jesse was in training at the Defense Language Institute (DLIFLC) the couple was married on May 23, 1992 over a weekend break. Jesse moved to an efficiency apartment with his new bride that Monday and returned to duty the next day. Although they did not have much Monterey holds fond memories for the couple.
Following graduation from DLIFLC with a DLPT score of 2/2+/1+ in Spanish Jesse assigned TDY to Goodfellow Air Force Base before being assigned to the 110th Military Intelligence Battalion at Ft. Drum, NY.
Following his military service Jesse began working for Electronic Data Services as a database designer on a contract for PA&E a division of the Office of the Secretary of Defense. A year later EDS decided not to bid on continuing the contract and Jesse was hired by a smaller company, ASD, that was taking over the contract. He continued to work in PA&E as a systems engineer focusing on web design and level 3 support. He worked in both Chrystal City, VA and in the Pentagon and was near the Pentagon during the attack of September 11, 2001.
While working for EDS, Jesse and his wife began trying to have children. In the Fall of 1999 they discovered that they were pregnant but that joy quickly turned to sorry when they had a miscarriage a few weeks after learning of the pregnancy. Over the next two years they lost three other pregnancies. They began exploring the possibility of adoption. In late 2001 Teri was diagnosed with a blood disorder that was detrimental to the fetus. The doctors believed that they could control the disorder with blood thinners so another attempt was made. In early March they conceived a child that was born on October 29,2002.
Shortly before Kevin's birth, Jesse began working part time as the Minister of Students at Berwyn Baptist Church. Soon after being called into ministry Jesse realized that this calling was not meant to be part-time and began exploring the possibility of full time vocational ministry. Jesse late began working full time at Berwyn Baptist Church as the Minister of Students and Education and became an ordained pastor in the Southern Baptist Convention.
While working at Berwyn Baptist Church the family added second child, who born March 10, 2006.
In 2008, the Jesse was called to serve as the Children's Pastor at the Evangelical Free Church of Wauconda, an EFCA church.
|Born||13 Nov 1969|
|Profession of Faith||1976|
|Graduated High School||May 1987|
|First Date with Teri||Dec 1990|
|Joined US Army||1 Dec 1991|
|Married Teresa Facchina||23 May 1992|
|Operation Uphold Democracy||Sept - Dec 1994|
|Discharged from US Army||1996|
|First Child||29 Oct 2002|
|Second Child||10 Mar 2006|
|Called as Children's Pastor||1 Apr 2008|
|Graduated Bethel Seminary||Jun 2011|
Family of Origin
Samuel Grant Smith Sr. (9 Apr 1932 - 2014)
- Born: Huntingdon, PA
Jeannine Marilyn Smith (Hood) (4 Aug 1932 - )
- Born: Wolcott, VT
|Sibling||Age||Date of Birth||Place of Birth||Parents|
|Ann Christine (Jones)||64||29 March 1951||, Jeannine Smith|
|Michael Miller||63||4 September 1952||, Jeannine Smith|
|Christine Kim (Rothrock)||60||5 Jan 1955||Sam, Ellabell|
|Barbara (Green)||59||14 December 1955||, Jeannine Smith|
|Samuel Smith, Jr.||57||28 May 1958||Sam, Ellabell|
- Elementary Schools
- Laytonsville Elementary (1974- Oct. 1976)
- Lisbon Elementary (Nov. 1976-1980)
- Glenelg Middle School (1980-1983)
- Glenelg High School (1983-1987)
- Bethel Seminary (Sept. 2007- June 2011)
Places of Residence
- Huntingdon, PA
- Rockville, MD
- Laytonsville, MD (-1977)
- Mt. Airy, MD (1977-1992)
- Monterey, CA (1992-1993 )
- San Angelo, TX (1993-1993
- Watertown, NY (1993-1996)
- College Park, MD (1996-2008)
- Island Lake, IL (2008-2009)
- Wauconda, IL (2009-Present)
Careers & Places of Employment
- Various Teenage Employment
- McDonald's (Swing Manager, 7 years)
- Radio Shack (Store Manager, 1 year)
- Deli (Closing Manager)
- Convenience Store
- American Pizza (Delievery & Manager)
- US Army (Linguist, 4.5 years)
- EDS (Database Developer)
- ASD (Systems Engineer)
- Berwyn Baptist Church (Youth Pastor) (2001-2008)
- Evangelical Free Church of Wauconda (Children's Pastor)
- Jesse has enjoyed photography for many years and in 2009 purchased a Canon EOS Rebel XSi. Some of his work can be seen on Flickr.
- Enjoying TV shows and Movies.
- In the late Spring of 2010, Jesse purchased a quality mountain bike and began riding regularly. Until that time he occasionally rode a heavier bike purchased from a box chain.
- Like the rest of the Smith family, Jesse greatly enjoys books.
Books read in 2013
- Ella Enchanted
- The Last Man: A Novel
- The Essential P.T. Barnum
- The Ambition: A Novel
- The Horse and His Boy
- The Sword: (Chiveis Trilogy)
- Branded: Sharing Jesus with a Consumer Culture
- The Hades Factor (A Covert-One Novel)
- The Magician's Nephew
- Gospel-Powered Parenting: How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting
- The Gift: (Chiveis Trilogy)
- Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting out of the Box
- The Last Battle
- Family Ministry Field Guide: How Your Church Can Equip Parents to Make Disciples
- Agenda 21
- The Boy's Body Book: Everything You Need to Know for Growing Up YOU
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- How to Knock Over a 7-Eleven and Other Ministry Training
- Super (Powerless #2)
- Fire of the Raging Dragon (Pacific Rim Series)
- Treasuring God in Our Traditions
- Oh, the Places He Went
- Die Trying
- Parenting from Your Strengths
- The Judgment Stone
- Playing for Keeps/Losing Your Marbles
- The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive
- Stop Asking Jesus Into Your Heart
- The Cassandra Compact
- You Are a Writer
- A Parent's Guide to Understanding Social Media
- Stop Stealing Dreams
- A Story of Christmas and All of Us
- The Boy who Invented TV: The Story of Philo Fransworth
- Mortal Allies
- Love Does
- Fantastic Mr. Fox
- Parenting: Illustrated with Crappy Pictures
- Why Smart Kids Worry: And What Parents Can Do to Help
- Eat Move Sleep
- ↑ Notable Story: Summer Vacation to Germany
- ↑ Notable Story: Working for Bushy Park Elementary
- ↑ (12 Jan 1993). Canceled Md. Trooper Class Reinstated, The Washington Post.
Jesse would have been a member of the 104th Trooper Class, the class following the one reference in the article.
- ↑ Notable Story: How Jesse wound up in the Army instead of the Air Force
- ↑ Notable Story: Working without Pay
- ↑ Notable Story: What Jesse did to secure our Freedom (Spades& a cow)
- ↑ Notable Story: The Call to Ministry